Wednesday, September 3, 2008

My first 10k

So this past weekend I ran/walked my first 10k as part of the Nike+ human race. I've been running more and more since Evan was born and have loved tracking my progress with the Nike+ tools. It's also been pretty inspiring to see what Dan and Amy's parents have been able to accomplish over the last couple of years. But more than anything, I had a bit of scare a few months ago when I went to donate blood and got turned away because my blood pressure was too high. I sat there, eating the Nutter Butter and drinking the caffeine-free Dr. Pepper the blood donation people let me eat and thought, "You've got to be kidding me - I'm not even 30 yet." It was quite a rude awakening. I've been regularly running and walking with the family and am about 2 miles shy of 100 miles run and walked over the last 4 months, and the BP is looking much better.

Nike+ tools record my pace for each run or walk and here's what my 10k looks like:


So I'm not the fastest guy out there, but if I've looked at totals correctly, I'm in the top half of people that ran the race. Ta-dow - not bad for guy who played offensive line in high school.

3 comments:

Jordy said...

Offensive Line to Runner... that's awesome

Verity said...

Wow, thanks for sharing that. Keep it up!!!

Fred & Charlene said...

Great way to keep your BP down!!
Stay healthy!!!