Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Let the tiling begin!

Howdy! This is Logan posting. So for our anniversary this year we decided it was time to get rid of a bunch of carpet and the rest of the linoleum in our house. I know, I know - we go crazy for our anniversary. But seriously, we're the second young family to live in this house, and despite our best efforts to keep things clean and in good shape, the flooring just kept getting worse. It was just time to get rid of it.

Now we've been taking pictures of our progress so we'll post those soon enough, but being the nerd that I am, I actually wanted to post a link to a tool called Google SketchUp that I've been playing with to plan this out. I played with it a couple of years ago and thought then, "Why would anyone use this?" But let me tell you, when you're planning to tile the bulk of your living space, plotting things out isn't a bad thing, and this thing made it easy.

I walked around the house and took measurements of the space and after a twiddle here and a tinker there, and two hours later (finishing up around 2am) Google SketchUp and I came up with this:



On top of that, it told me that I had 714.988 square feet to tile.

Ok, so I could have just guessed like Amy and got about the same estimate. Amy took like 5 minutes and came up with 720 square feet, but come on, this is cool, isn't it? And totally worth the late night? Right?

7 comments:

Verity said...

That's funny, and sounds like a Sheen thing. I seem to like taking the long way around something, too. ;)

Can't wait to see pictures!

Lydia Lemon said...

Totally worth the late night! I stayed up a few days ago making a menu planner/grocery list. Dorky? I think not.

Jordy said...

Yea, that's pretty rad. I use google sketch up, too.

Erickson Fam said...

Hey Logan, It's Barbie. I just found you through some other friends blogs. How are you guys? How's life?

bedelia said...

So where are you putting all this tile?

Chris said...

where's the "in progress" photos? - Brant

Call Me Grizzly said...

N-E-R-D!!